Toothaches can be very inconvenient and present in many ways. The cause of your toothache is usually not limited to a single cause and your pain is an indication of a more serious problem. It is important to see your dentist at soon as possible.
Home-Care Tips to Alleviate Tooth Pain
Until you can visit with your dentist, these home-care tips can potentially alleviate some of your pain:
- Take an over-the-counter pain (OTC) medication as directed to relieve moderate pain. The most effective OTC medication is ibuprofen (Advil) or another non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) like aspirin. NSAIDs are the best pain relievers for a toothache.
- Avoid chewing or using the tooth
- Apply a cold compress or ice pack to the outside of your cheek
- Elevating your head and not laying completely flat can help alleviate pain.
- Utilize warm salt water rinses
- If the pain is severe, and/or you have trouble breathing or swallowing, then report immediately to your nearest Emergency Room for urgent care.
Contact Our Chesterfield, MO Dental Practice
The sooner you can have your toothache evaluated and treated by your dentist, the more comfortable and effective your care. Permitting a toothache to linger for a longer period of time can cause irreparable damage to your tooth and supporting structures. If we can help or you need any further information, please contact our Chesterfield office.