Dental emergencies can occur at any time, and almost every American will experience them at least once in their lifetimes.
You might develop a toothache during a long-planned vacation or break a tooth right before a big interview. No matter the circumstances, you will most likely want professional help and treatment. It's essential to get to your Chesterfield, MO dentist as soon as you can after an emergency.
Common Dental Emergencies That Can Happen to Anyone
Here are the four most common dental emergencies and how you can handle each situation:
- Knocked-out tooth — If you've accidentally knocked your tooth out of its socket, we may be able to re-implant it. Timing is essential, and we try to see patients within 30 minutes of their injury. It's also important that patients keep the tooth safe and viable until they arrive at our dental office for emergency treatment. Don't let the root dry out and handle it by the crown and not the roots. Rinse the tooth with water or milk and keep it safe in your mouth or a container of milk. Apply a cold compress to the site for 20 minutes at a time to help with swelling.
- Broken tooth — If you believe your tooth is cracked or broken, let us know right away. We want to prevent infection or decay from entering the tooth. An ice pack can help reduce swelling until you come in to see us.
- Lost or loose dental crowns or fillings — If you notice your dental crown or filling is coming loose, try to remove it, so you don't accidentally swallow it. Dr. Scott Mahlin and his dental team will want to see you as soon as possible to restore the dental crown and filling.
- Tooth infection — Oral infections can cause a lot of pain in your teeth and gums, and if left untreated, they can spread to other teeth. If you notice an unusual pain in your tooth or surrounding gum tissue, call us at Clarkson Dental Group immediately to schedule you. Don't try to treat the infection yourself with suggestions from the internet, as not all homeopathic ingredients will address the infection, and some may make things a lot worse.
Some accidents and emergencies can happen to anyone, but you can take steps to minimize the need for emergency dental treatment.
- Avoid foods like popcorn and caramels that stick to or between your teeth
- If you play sports, consider a sports guard or mouthguard
- Brush and floss daily
- Maintain regular dental cleanings and exams
Call to Schedule Your Next Dental Cleaning
At Clarkson Dental Group, we can help you maintain excellent oral health and prevent avoidable dental emergencies. If you are uninsured, we offer an in-house dental membership plan to help you save on preventive cleanings, exams, and other dental treatments. Call Clarkson Dental Group today to schedule your next appointment and learn more about our savings plan.
We are pleased to serve the communities of Chesterfield, Wildwood, Ellisville, Town and Country, Clarkson Valley, Ballwin, and all surrounding areas.