If you are one of many Americans who do not visit the dentist for regular checkups because of your dental anxiety, you are not alone. At Clarkson Dental Group, we understand that dental anxiety is very real. But we do not want your fear of the dentist to keep you from getting the dental care you need to maintain good oral health. With sedation dentistry, you can have an anxiety-free experience.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Many people are under the mistaken impression that sedation dentistry refers to being “put under” while undergoing dental treatment. Most types of sedation dentistry allow patients to stay fully conscious during treatment. Sleepiness is often a side effect of some types of sedation, but they do not induce sleep.
Most types of sedation dentistry are administered through medications taken by mouth, so there are no injections or needles involved. Nitrous oxide is administered through a mask over the nose, much like breathing in oxygen through a mask.
Types of Sedation Dentistry We Offer at Our Chesterfield, MO Dental Office
We offer the following types of sedation dentistry:
- Nitrous oxide—Also called “laughing gas,” nitrous oxide won’t make you silly; it will simply put you in a relaxed state and create a sense of well-being. It lowers anxiety levels and reduces discomfort during dental procedures. It enters and leaves the system quickly, so you can drive yourself home after treatment and return to your normal routine.
- IV moderate sedation—Our Chesterfield, MO dental office is one of the few in Missouri to offer IV moderate sedation. Administered intravenously, its effects are immediate. Some patients will report feeling like they slept through their entire procedure. You might feel groggy after IV moderate sedation, so you’ll need a designated driver to drive you home after your treatment. Plan to rest for the remainder of the day, returning to normal activities the following day.
- Oral conscious sedation—If you don’t like needles, you will appreciate oral conscious sedation, which is administered orally before your appointment. As the name implies, most people will remain conscious during treatment, but the medications used tend to dull the senses, so many patients do not remember the procedure. You’ll need rides to and from your appointment if you opt for this type of sedation dentistry.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Here are some of the benefits sedation dentistry provides for our patients:
- It enables patients to work through their dental anxiety.
- It offers few if any side effects.
- Patients undergoing sedation are closely monitored by our experienced team.
- If more than one treatment or lengthier procedures are needed during a single appointment, sedation dentistry makes it easy for patients to remain still and relaxed.
- Patients are more easily able to keep their mouths open for extended periods of time.
- Patients who struggle with dental procedures because of a strong gag reflex.
Find Out More About How Sedation Dentistry Can Help You
If you have been putting off dental care because of dental anxiety, we urge you to contact Clarkson Dental Group. Our team of caring, experienced professionals understand what you are going through, and with the help of sedation dentistry, we can ensure you have a comfortable experience while you are here. Call today to make an appointment.