Tooth-Colored Fillings in Chesterfield, MO
In years past, we had one option for strengthening a tooth after decay: amalgam—or silver—fillings. Amalgam is still an effective way to stop the spread of tooth decay in some situations, but tooth-colored fillings strengthen and protect the tooth while appearing completely natural. Whereas amalgam fillings are easy to spot given their gray color, we can make tooth-colored fillings to blend in seamlessly with the tooth. Laugh, speak, and smile all you want; no one will even know you have a filling.
Tooth-colored fillings in Chesterfield, MO are a cost-effective way to keep your teeth healthy and to correct specific cosmetic dental problems. Some patients even opt to replace their amalgam fillings with more esthetic tooth-colored fillings. Find out more by calling Clarkson Dental Group.
What Is a Cavity?
A cavity is an area of decay on your tooth that will continue to grow larger if it is not treated. The smaller the cavity, the easier it is to fill. When cavities are not treated, bacteria can get in, causing an infection deep within the tooth root. If that happens, treatment will involve a root canal rather than a filling.
Early detection of tooth decay is just another reason it’s essential to visit the team at Clarkson Dental Group for routine examinations.
Using a composite material that can be colored to match your natural tooth, tooth-colored fillings are an effective way to esthetically repair tooth decay. There are other advantages to tooth-colored fillings:
- Because they adhere to the tooth structure, less of the tooth needs to be removed to make room for the filling.
- Tooth-colored fillings do not expand and contract with temperature changes the way amalgam fillings do. This means there is less chance of fracture—even with a large filling.
- The composite material is useful for treating cavities or other flaws toward the front of the mouth.
Dr. Scott Mahlin can use composite material to reshape a tooth as well as conceal tooth flaws. Cosmetic bonding is an inexpensive way to enhance the look of your smile. It can address the following cosmetic issues:
- Repairing small chips in the teeth
- Fixing broken or cracked teeth
- Filling in small gaps between teeth
- Covering up discoloration that is resistant to teeth whitening
- Changing the shape of irregular teeth
Contact Our Chesterfield, MO Dental Office to Learn More
Our patients love tooth-colored composite fillings because of their natural look. At Clarkson Dental Group, we appreciate them because they offer a way to restore and improve teeth in a conservative way.
If you think you might have a cavity, would like to have an amalgam filling replaced, or if you need minor repairs to your smile, please give us a call for more information or to schedule a dental appointment.